Oct 3, 2008

Mesa Verde



Still here in Cortez. Went to see Mesa Verde (spanish for green table) National Park, which is set around Pueblo cliff dwellings about 20 miles east of Cortez. This is a place that is very hard to describe, as it is an illustration of human ingenuity and fortitude. The cliff dwellings were built under massive sandstone cliffs, which provide a natural roof, and protection from the elements. Being built into cliffs, near the top of a canyon, they are difficult to get to, which made them easier to defend, as access routes are few, narrow, and steep. They are about 900 years old. On that note - while in Cortez, I see a lot of Native Americans (I'll not say Indians, lest I confuse you folks from Mumbai) and I am acutely aware that the land I am standing on, belonged to them (in European terms, as Native Americans did not believe a person could 'own' the land).